I am always on the hunt for a good loaf of vegan gluten-free refined sugar-free banana bread. As I am sure most of you know, this can be quite hard to come by. What you may not know is that it is SUPER easy and quick to make at home. You probably have most of the ingredients you need to make it right now…go on I dare you!
Cooking time 45 minutes, makes one loaf
- 2 -3 mushed bananas (use over ripe ones if you have)
- 2 cups almond flour/coconut flour (you can do half of each as well, in fact you can use any flour you want really)
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda/bicarbonate soda
- 1 cup nuts OPTIONAL (pecan, walnuts or shaved almonds work best)
- 1 cup dates OPTIONAL (I think the banana’s are sweet enough)
- 1/4 cup honey/maple syrup OR 1 tsp stevia OPTIONAL (once again, I think the bananas do the job, but up to your taste buds)
Get your loaf tin and baking paper ready for the method:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Combine all wet ingredients in a separate mixing bowl.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients making sure every bit is combined (no dry ingredients left hiding at the bottom)
- Line your loaf tine with a sheet of baking paper OR rub coconut oil along the sides and bottom.
- Put your batter into the loaf tin.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes – check to see if the banana bread is ready by elegantly sticking a knife in the middle, when you take it out there should be no batter attached to the knife. If the banana bread is still not cooked leave it in the oven and keep checking every 5 minutes until cooked.
- Take the banana bread out of the oven once cooked.
- Remove the banana bread from the loaf tin, leave to cool and enjoy when ready!
Yummy tip: add thinly sliced banana pieces to the top of the bread for some cool decor and extra flavour.
The great things about this banana bread recipe is that you can make it your own. Like coconut? Make a coconut banana loaf by only using coconut flour and adding 1/4 cup coconut flakes. Like choc-chip? Add 1/4 cup vegan refined sugar-free choc-chips to the batter and you have choc-chip banana bread.