This is my go-to recipe for breakfast and dessert. It’s healthy, it’s light and it hits the spot every time. You can make as much as you like, it’s all about your taste preferences and how much you can keep without eating it all at once!
Cooking time 45 minutes, serves 2
- 4-6 large apples – whichever ones you like
- Boiling water – fill the whole kettle
- 1/4 cup linseed/flaxseed
- Cinnamon – as much as you like
- Cardamom – keep it light
- Ginger – just a touch
- Lemon juice – 1-2 tbsp
- Wash the apples and boil the kettle.
- Chop the apples into chunks, whatever size you like – I like big chunks.
- Put the chopped apple in a pot on a hot stove.
- Pour the boiling water over the apples until they are all covered.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients giving it a stir.
- Turn the stove down to a medium heat.
- Let the apples cook down for 30-45 minutes, mixing the pot regularly as the water decreases.
- When the water is gone, and the apples are nice and soft and caramelised, take it off the stove to cool down.
Note: If the apples are not soft enough, add more water and cook for longer until you’re happy with it.
I heat a bowl of these apples up and add superfood extras like mixed seeds, goji berries, and coconut on top with a dash cold almond milk. Hot or cold, day or night, these hot cooked cinnamon superfood apples are just the best.