My plant bases French toast is a super yummy, fun breakfast to share with loved ones. I make a big stack of French toast for me and my man, lay out a whole lot of healthy toppings and the rest is up to our tastebuds!
Cooking time 30 minutes, makes 5-6 pieces of French toast
- 5-6 pieces of bread (any bread you like – rye, low-GI, gluten-free etc.)
- 2 egg replacements OR 2 large mushed bananas
- 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk (or any milk of choice)
- 1/2 cup almond flour (add more if you want a thicker batter)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil/olive oil
- Extra coconut oil or coconut oil spray for cooking
- Topping ideas:
- Cinnamon & xylitol mixed in a little container (instead of cinnamon & sugar)
- Maple syrup/honey
- Nut butter
- Desiccated OR shaved coconut
- Cacao powder
- Freshly sliced banana
- Punnet of berries
- Make the egg replacements OR mush the bananas into a paste in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the almond milk, almond flour, oil and the vanilla to the mixing bowl and mix together.
- Heat a non-stick pan and add a little coconut oil/coconut oil spray.
- Dip a piece of bread in the batter, switching sides to ensure the bread soaks a little of the batter up (try holding it in for at least 5 seconds a side).
- Cook the bread on the hot pan, until both sides are brown.
- When both sides are browned then remove from the pan.
- Repeat the heating, dipping and cooking process for all of the bread.
Stack the French Toast pieces on a large plate or board, lay out the rest of the topping ingredients and enjoy your plant based French Toast.