Pizza can be part of a healthy balance diet, and not just for cheat meals! My high-protein, low-carb, plant-based pizza is one of our favourite weeknight dinners. Get creative with toppings and enjoy your slice the way you like it.
Cooking time 15-30 minutes (depending on base and toppings), serves 2 – increase ingredients for more servings
- 2 pizza bases of choice (wholegrain, rye, high protein, low GI…whatever you like) – TIP: you can also use healthy wraps as a pizza base!
- 1 cup grated vegan cheese (use a good quality one, 1/2 cup per pizza)
- 1/4 cup tofu (crumbled to look like feta)
- 3 tbsp tomato puree (1.5 tbsp per pizza)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar (1 tbsp per pizza)
- Nutritional yeast
- Olive oil
- Garlic (crushed spice or fresh)
- Herbs and spices of choice (I like rosemary, thyme, oregano, basil and paprika)
- Toppings of choice, I like:
- Sliced red onion
- Sliced olives
- Medium avocado
- Sliced mushrooms
- Spinach leaves
- More sliced veggies such as bell peppers/aubergine/pumpkin/any vegetables you like!
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Lay out your pizza bases on lined baking trays.
- Spread 1.5 tbsp tomato puree on each base.
- Dash some lemon juice/vinegar and garlic on top of the tomato puree.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup grated cheese evenly around each pizza.
- Layer on your toppings between both pizzas – onions, olives, mushrooms, avocado, spinach etc.
- Sprinkle your crumbled tofu ‘feta’ and nutritional yeast evenly over the top of the vegetables on each pizza.
- Season pizzas with salt, pepper and chosen herbs/spices.
- Dash some olive oil on top on your pizzas.
- Bake in the oven at 180-200 degrees for 15-30 minutes (depending how crunchy you like it).
The crunchy base, sizzling toppings and gooey ‘cheesiness’ make for the perfect guilt-free pizza night.