Having recently moved to Australia, there were certain baked goods that I simply had to master. And every Aussie should certainly know how to make this household staple – banana bread! In true Sydney style, my banana bread recipe is plant-based, gluten-free and refined sugar-free.
Prep time 15 mins, baking time 45-60 minutes, makes one loaf
- 2-4 mushed bananas (depends on the size of the bananas, aim for 450 grams)
- 1.4 cups almond flour
- 1.4 cups desiccated coconut
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon (add more if you like)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup almond milk (add it gradually until the batter is smooth and moist)
- Optional: 1/2 cup chopped dates
- Optional: 1/4 cup plant-based refined sugar-free choc-chips /choc-chunks for choc-chip banana bread
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a big mixing bowl.
- Combine all wet ingredients in a separate mixing bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until smooth
- Fold in the dates and/or choc-chip pieces if using them.
- Place the batter evenly and firmly into a lined baking loaf tin.
- Tip:add thinly sliced banana to the top of the bread for extra decor and banana flavour.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 45-60 minutes, you’ll know it’s ready when it’s golden on top and a tooth-pick comes out clean when pricked into the loaf.
- Allow the banana bread to cool completely in the loaf tin before removing it.
- Keep the banana bread in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.
This banana bread recipe never fails and is always a hit with friends and family.