This hearty, healthy veggie pasta dish is an absolute winner. I love the combination of creamy tomato sauce and bursts of fresh pesto. It is the perfect quick-dish for nights in with loved ones, which happens to be every night at the moment!
Cooking time 20-30 minutes, serves 2-4 (depending on portions)
- Chickpea penne pasta (can use different pasta, but this one is my favourite)
- 1 medium aubergine/eggplant, cubed
- 1/2 onion, diced (any will do, I used red)
- 1 garlic clove, finely diced
- 1/4 cup hot water (may need more)
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1-2 tsp herb salt
- 2-4 tbsp pesto (depending on how much you want, homemade or store bought, I used a dairy-free one)
- 1 jar tomato pasta sauce of choice
- 1/4 cup coconut cream (can add more if desired)
- Optional garnishes:
- Mozzarella (or any cheese of choice, I used plant-based cheese)
- Truffle oil
- Nutritional yeast
- Heat a non-stick pan, option to add olive oil if desired.
- Sauté the aubergine, onion and garlic with herb salt and vinegar.
- Once it starts to soften lower the heat, add 1/4 cup hot water, place a lid on and allow to cook for 10-15 minutes, checking periodically (toss the aubergine and add more hot water if absorbed too quickly).
- While to aubergine mix cooks, make the chickpea penne pasta according to packaging instructions.
- Once the aubergine mix is well-cooked and soft, add the tomato pasta sauce and coconut cream.
- Mix it all together until it is well combined and then turn off the heat.
- Drain the pasta once done and add to the tomato & aubergine sauce, mixing it all together so the pasta is coated nicely.
- Place into your serving dish, add drops of the pesto all around and serve.
Grind fresh rock salt and black pepper on top , and serve with our without the suggested toppings – there is plenty flavour going on already!