I make this apple berry crumble all the time – brunches, afternoon tea, dessert, it is always a hit! The ingredients in this recipe are flexible, so let your taste buds guide you. This recipe can be made plant-based by replacing the honey with maple syrup and gluten-free by using gluten-free rolled oats.
Prep time 45 minutes, baking time 15 minutes, makes a medium sized crumble dish
Ingredients for fruit base
- 4 chopped apples – you can choose and chop the apples to your taste, I use red apples in small to medium bite sized pieces
- 400g mixed berries (fresh or frozen)
- Honey/maple syrup to taste
- Lemon juice to taste
- Cinnamon spice to taste
- Ginger spice to taste
- Water as needed
Ingredients for crumble
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup honey/maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Cinnamon to taste
- Put the chopped apples and berries in a pot on low-medium heat.
- Add all the remaining ingredients to the pot with a dash of water.
- Let the fruit cook until soft, adding more spices to your taste and more water if needed.
- While the fruit cooks down make the crumble.
- Add all of the crumble ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
- Mix together until bite-sized crumble pieces form, then set aside.
- Once the fruit is cooked to your liking, place it evenly in your baking dish.
- Put the crumble evenly on top of the fruit.
- Bake in the oven at 180 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Keep an eye on your crumble top, if it needs more time then watch it carefully as it can burn easily.
Best served with ice-cream.