This is real feel-good food! Serve this creamy coconut mushroom sauce with your choice of pasta for a scrumptious vegan dinner that everyone will enjoy.
Cooking time 30 minutes, serves 2
- 1 punnet mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 small tin coconut cream OR half a tin of regular coconut cream (you can use light coconut cream if you like)
- 1 -2 tbsp arrowroot flour (depending on how think you like your sauce you can use more or less)
- 1/2 diced brown onion
- 1-2 gloves finely chopped garlic OR 1 tbsp crush garlic
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (add more if you like)
- Other spice options:
- Pasta of choice (I like chickpea or green pea)
- Cook your pasta as the packaging directs.
- Heat a non-stick pan.
- Add the garlic and let it simmer slightly (you can cook it in a dash of olive oil or coconut oil if you like).
- Add the mushrooms and spices.
- Once the mushrooms are cooked, you can drain the most of the excess water from the pan.
- Add the coconut cream and turn the stove to a low-medium heat.
- Add the arrowroot gradually – as you add it make sure to mix well to allow it to dissolve fully before adding more. By adding it gradually you avoid making a lumpy, thick sauce.
- When the sauce is at your desired consistency, turn down the heat to a low temperature and add the nutritional yeast, continuing to mix.
- Add your drained pasta to the sauce.
Top with a bit of plant based cheese or extra nutritional yeast for extra flavour. You can also use this sauce as a filling for a pie.